The 2023-24 theme is:
"What Are the Greatest Attributes of Our Democracy?"
Established in 1947, our Voice of Democracy audio-essay program provides high school students with the unique opportunity to express themselves in regards to a democratic and patriotic-themed recorded essay. Each year, nearly 25,000 ninth through 12th grade students from across the country enter to win their share of more than $1.3 million in educational scholarships and incentives awarded through the program.
The national first place winner receives a $35,000 scholarship paid directly to the recipient’s American university, college or vocational/technical school. A complete list of other national scholarships range from $1,000-$21,000, and the first place winner from each VFW Department (state) wins at least a scholarship of $1,000.
Make sure to have a picture for entries going to the State competition.
Our chairman is Jim Gray of Post 5080. You can reach him at email@example.com
- State Winner receives $1,000 and a plaque. This entry is submitted to VFW National for the national competition.
- Second place receives $750 and a certificate.
- Third place receives $500 and a certificate.
9th through 12th grade students properly enrolled in public, private, parochial, or home schools in Georgia. Foreign Exchange students and former winners that placed in the National finals are excluded.
First place winner receives $35,000 and an all-expense paid trip to Washington DC.
Where to Start? Look for the Voice of Democracy in the Scholar's app as well as at VFW.org/VOD
- Entry to Post by October 31
- Post judging completed by November 15
- Post updates to All-American Dashboard November 15
- District Judging completed by December 1
- District approves Post reports on All American dashboard by December 1
- State Judging completed by December 31
- State winners to National by January 15