Purpose: The award is to recognize a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars who has exemplified in their actions and accomplishments, the true spirit of our Organization in serving the needs of their Post, and Community, and who has dedicated themselves in a professional manner to addressing the Pillars of our Organization. Post leaders are encouraged to submit to State Headquarters a narrative write up on a comrade from their Post that is leading from the front and supporting one or more of the purposes of our Congressional Charter.
Eligibility: This award is intended to recognize a member in good standing of the Veterans of Foreign Wars who has been a member a minimum of one full membership year, and has received a nomination for their activities during the award Year according to the Award guidelines. Award candidates holding any of the following elected or appointed office during the award year, are not eligible. (Specifically - Commander, QM, Adjutant, Service Officer or Chaplain) In addition, Past State Commanders, Past National Council members, and Council of Administration members are ineligible from nomination.
Type of Recognition: The award will consist of a Department Cap with title of Member of the Year & citation presented at the State Convention by the Commander. The Department winner will be submitted to National for the National VFW Member of the Year.
Criteria: This award recognizes exceptional performance as a member of The VFW. Examples of service that would be considered in judging the nominee include the following:
- Nominee presents themselves in a professional and helpful manner within the Organization and within the Community.
- Nominee shows an active interest in the Department by attending meetings and showing a willingness to consider leadership roles.
- Nominee participates in activities and events within the Department to help raise awareness of the Organization in the Community.
- Nominee has shown a willingness to work together with other VFW, Auxiliary, and Riders Members in a spirit of cooperation to accomplish the same goals.
- Nominee volunteers for and participates in activities and events that address the needs of target groups and individuals in the Community.
- Nominee has demonstrated actions which contribute to improving the quality of life for those we are intended to serve, whether they are children or adults, and whether they are homeless, hospitalized, handicapped, in need of a job or education.
- Nominee encourages members of the Community to support VFW programs and continually encourages others to become members.
- Nominee must have been submitted for #StillServing campaign recognition at todaysvfw.org
Process: Any VFW member in good standing may be nominated as a Member of The Year candidate using the Member of The Year Nomination Form. Award candidates holding any of the following elected or appointed office during the award year, are not eligible. (Specifically the following officers: Commander, QM, Adjutant, Service Officer or Chaplain). In addition, Past State Commanders, Past National Council members and members of the Council of Administration (COA) are ineligible from nomination. Nominations are Due March 31st.